Christopher D. Brown
A seasoned trial lawyer, Chris has defended a variety of both domestic and foreign product manufacturers, including cases involving aircraft and aviation components, medical devices, trucking cases, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals. He also has a wealth of experience in complex commercial litigation, employment discrimination matters, construction claims, first amendment and defamation claims, and election cases, including a precedent-setting case he argued before the Florida Supreme Court.
Chris began his legal career as a prosecutor in the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office and has tried all types of matters, from complex commercial disputes to the $300 million litigation arising out of the 1995 crash of American Airlines Flight 965 in Cali, Colombia.
Chris draws on his prior experience as an award-winning writer and professional actor to produce clear and succinct briefs and present persuasive courtroom arguments.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Lawyers for Children American (pro bono lawyer)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- American Bar Association (former membership chair of the Aviation and Space Law Committee)
- League of Prosecutors (founding member, past President)
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee (17th Judicial Circuit of Florida, 2006-2008)
- Florida Bar Code & Rules Committee (2011-2014)
- Charlee House (Board Member, 2006-2010)
- Zoetic Stage (founding Board Member)
- Adjunct Professor of International Law, Florida International University (1994-1996)
- Defended a major aerospace component part manufacturer in a lawsuit arising out of the crash of American Airlines Flight 965 in Cali, Colombia. Case was resolved after a nine-week civil jury trial.
- Defended one of the country’s largest residential landlords in class action and individual mold claims, including property damage and personal injury, and one of the few lawsuits in the country alleging wrongful death due to indoor airborne mold exposure.
- Represented a major manufacturer of civil and military helicopters in a multiple-fatality wrongful death case that was resolved by jury trial.
- Affirmed summary judgment on appeal in favor of a political consultant who was sued by a disgruntled candidate in a First Amendment “public figure” defamation claim.
- Took a case from trial to the Florida Supreme Court that involved a dispute over qualification between judicial candidates. The case established the standard for “qualification” in elections under the Florida State Constitution.
- Member of the legal team representing the plaintiffs in the 2000 Florida Redistricting Litigation.
- Represented the Miami-Dade State’s Attorney’s Office in several high profile sex discrimination claims.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1994, cum laude;
University of Miami Law Review, member
- Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, M.A.L.D., 1993
- Institut Européen des Hautes Etudes Internationales (University of Geneva, Switzerland), Diplôme d’Études Supérieures, 1992
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1986
Bar & Court Admissions
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Judicial Circuit
- U.S. Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Northern District of Florida
Awards & Distinctions
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers
- The Legal 500
- Chambers USA
- John Edward Smith Child Advocacy Award
- American Theatre Critics Association/Steinberg Award Citation for Playwriting (2014)
- Laurents / Hatcher Award for Playwriting (2016)
- Carbonell Awards for Playwriting (2010, 2014, 2019)